Sunday, August 26, 2012

Revelation 17


Before heading to Nakamura’s office, I retrieved my invisible armor and rifle and stealthily made my way down the hall and through the foyer.

I could only hope I wasn’t too late.

I waited outside Nakamura’s office for a time, occasionally peeking in to see him sitting silently at his desk, alone.

Finally they arrived—my partner and…my handler wasn’t there. Instead, Judgment led my partner into the office, along with some chick I’d never seen before.

I slipped in behind them before the door closed.

“I trust you all have no problem with this mission? No conflict of interest?” Nakamura was saying.

Everyone else remained stoically silent.

The Door appeared; I quietly walked toward it behind their backs, hoping I wouldn’t accidentally let out a tell-tale breath and give up my position.

I stood right next to the Door, holding my breath, awaiting the signal.

They went through and I followed. No one noticed.

I was surprised to find that I had arrived at the destination before them. I looked around. Had to still be in America somewhere.

Searching for Omar, I heard the others arriving.

We were on a rooftop and across from us was a rest stop. There he was.

“Omar!” I yelled. “Omar! Look out!” He didn’t move in the slightest.

I had to act before it was too late.

I rushed toward Judgment and smashed the butt of my rifle into his temple. The rifle went through his head, as though he or I were intangible.

I tried to tackle my partner (Judgment had moved past) and ended up face planting.

Was I a freaking ghost!?

My armor made me invisible, but I still had weight and mass. Confused, I shed it anyway. I should have been visible to everyone.

I should have gotten into more trouble.

No one could hear me, I couldn’t stop them. I was about to watch one of the few people who was remotely nice to me in my life lose his.

The team members took their positions, the woman on standby. The shot rang out.

I closed my eyes.

When I dared to open them again, I saw Omar, still standing. He was looking straight at us.
Swearing, Judgment herded the team back through the Door. I followed so I wouldn’t be left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment