Saturday, August 25, 2012

Revelation 11


After that incident everybody went back to work, but Judgment and Nakamura seemed to have ended their talk. I accelerated my gait to catch up to him and follow him into his office.

“Good,” I said jovially. “So I’m right on time for the daily briefing.”

He did not smile.

A few minutes later my handler and my partner arrived and Nakamura sat at his desk. He handed the day’s file to our handler who looked it over as Nakamura spoke to me and my partner.

“I know your first two missions could have gone a bit better, but you have shown competence both in your training and in your preliminary work. Today, once again, you have two targets. Your handler will give you the details as necessary.”

We learned of our first target, a middle aged woman who was an ex-agent of STAB, like that Torrance guy I met briefly with Omar and them. She was hiding in the mountains of Tibet, apparently using stolen STAB resources to set up a solitary, makeshift camp for herself, free from observation. That’s why it took so long for us to find her, a few years. She was good, left no trace.

Soon we had suited up in thick coats and breathing masks to keep us from fainting in the high altitude and were stepping through to just outside her camp.

The first thing I saw was a fire glowing with the backdrop of a dark sky. We used nightvision, but she wasn’t there.

Suddenly there was the slightest of noises behind us; somehow she had learned of our arrival or happened to be behind us when we came through; either way, she rushed at us with a big, serrated knife.

More out of shock and a self-preservation instinct, I jerked my gun up and shot her.

I was told I would get a reward for such good, swift work. One shot, no hesitation. This was just my 3rd mission, and the second where I’d shot someone. I was confused, but it turned out she had been really high up in STAB and still had some connections there. But her philosophy had changed; she and her cohorts were working against STAB’s interests. Which are the same as the Panopticon’s interests: chaos.

STAB isn’t under the umbrella of the Illumined’s influence, but what they do often times turns out to help us with “our” goals.
Turns out my bonus was an extra hour of down time. Apparently the next hit isn’t so urgent.

No comments:

Post a Comment